We are our very own enemies

Day 29

In between meeting new family members (and realizing my family is way bigger than what I thought) I haven't been able to shake off a feeling of rage.  This is unrelated to my family, which I have plenty of stories to tell, but this is more related to either the goverment of my home country or its habitants, or maybe both.

I've been between Santo Domingo and Enriquillo, Barahona which is about 235KM with a few more if we add the furthest destination I went to today: Bahía de las águilas (Eagles's Bay) and god damn, what a depressing site that along the way (the whole way) with the amount of contamination due to plastics and improvised community dumpsters which is depressing and infuriating at the same time.

My country is beautiful, the people very nice and happy, my family has been a blast but dear lord, we are our very own enemies. 

Dominican Republic has many great qualities but we honestly lack a wide understanding on how big of a problem we have in our hands.  I hope we get better but being a bit the pessimist at the moment, I doubt we ever will.

I could go on and on about the issues with DR, but that's not the idea tonight even though I will definitely have a post or two about "why I wouldn't move back" or "why I left" (and that can be relayed to my family history with migration from very small town to the biggests cities in the world), but that's a story for another day.

A sample of the trash

A view of Bahía de las águilas!

Same-ish view as above but from the watch tower



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Procrastination 🥲

A Dominican Maestro!

Pi Day