Eshops closing down!!

Day 83

Things i didn't think would bother me but actually do: Nintendo closing down the eshops for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.  Yeah, I'm going into my nerdy self again but sometimes I honestly don't understand the move of certain technology companies in regards to their user-base and the comsuption of their products.

A few things first:  both systems/platforms (Wii U and 3DS) are over 10 years old and is kind of understandble that eventually certain services would be fade out.  The issue with it, as it happened before with the original Wii, is that by closing down the eshops they are taking away the main tool to get access to certain games and applications that are not available anywhere else.

In the videogame field, certain games are released in physical format, digital format, or both and nowadays, if a game is released on physical, you can bet that it is also available digitally, which is great.  Digital only games are very common too, especially with re-releases of older games, the ones made by independent studios or just smaller releases by big developers.  

When the stores are closed down, the access to digital only games is lost forever, and this could mean that certain games are stuck on their legacy platforms with no other ways to access them, and if a game was released physically, it could be possible to get them with a reseller but most of the time the resell price of some of those games can be way too high.

And this is why, I mostly go for physical releases, and most gamers actually go down that route.  I want to be able to have access to my games at any given point, and I also want to be able to buy digital games when I can.  

One of the major things about Steam (a PC-focused service) is that you can buy games from way back in time until now, is the best platform to get games on even if it is digital-only, and the main reason is that is not closing down anytime soon and you have access to all the games you have bought since the beginning of the service (2003).

Again, while I understand Nintendo reasoning, I don't share it.  I want to be able to have access to all those games, but I sadly can't.  Is not like they are making all of that available on a newer platform, they are, hands down, cutting the access to a service and while I don't condone piracy, this is one of the reasons why I understand piracy exists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Procrastination 🥲

A Dominican Maestro!

Pi Day