"It's-a-me, Mario!"

Day 68

"It's-a-me, Mario" - well Mario Day is upon us, and even though I don't have any particular plan for celebration, it is however, a good excuse to talk about Mario and why it brings the inner child out of me.

March 10th is also known as MAR10 Day started officially in 2016 as a way of Nintendo celebrating its most famous and successful character/franchise by having Mario related events and sales through the web, platforms and their store.

One question that I have asked myself through the years, is "why do I like Mario so much? What is it about the character and the main games and spinoffs that I like so much?", and it all comes down to one word: FUN.

For me, Mario games in general are about FUN, not a deep story or existential problems, not about mind-blowing graphics, not about complex mechanics and long-ass tutorials, they are mostly about great but simple gameplay mechanics, nice colorful cartoony characters and animations, intricate level design, and challenging but fair platforming.

Every new game offers a new twist and/or core mechanic, and even if 2D or 3D, there's plenty to be enjoyed.  The good thing on top of it, is that, even though is a family friendly character and many non-gamers relate him to kids and childhood, actually is someone who has trespassed the boundaries of age and is equally liked by adults and kids alike.

In 2021 was the 40th anniversary of its creation, and he has been the main face of Nintendo almost from the day he was created.  Initially just known as "Jumpman" in Donkey Kong in 1981, but by 1985 he made his amazing debut as a platform king in Super Mario Bros. and the rest is history.

I think what I like the most about him, is that it truly connects me with the innocence that still left in me, with that inner child that gets amazed by simple things and every game is amazing and innovative, always bringing something new to the table.  Additionally, Mario, as a character is someone who is always upbeat and happy, always trying his best to achieve his goal, and well, isn't that something we should all strive for?

Next month the Super Marios Bros. Movie will be released, guess who will be in the theater on the very first night? And well, I soon have to visit LA to go to Super Nintendo World in Universal Studios, because, why wouldn't I?

My office - and one of my cats!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Procrastination 🥲

A Dominican Maestro!

Pi Day