Parents traveling abroad and my frustrations with it.

Day 75

Duolingo was the first to tell me that I'm on a 75-day streak so that's freaking amazing even though my German still extremely rough but at least it does entertain me and is a quick little task that I enjoy doing while learning some new words or phrases.

I'm also on a 75 days streak writing the blog and well, it still going, and that in itself is an achievement.  I just want to let out some minor frustrations with my parents, more specifically with my mom but is applicable to both.  You see, they only travel abroad if there's some sort of convention where they are invited period, no vacations abroad, no visiting their family or their sons.  

I moved away from more than 15 years ago, and I can count the number of times they have visited: 1 once my dad because he was on a layover and once my mom because she came for my graduation from grad school, that's it.  Why am I bringing this up now?  Simple, just venting some stuff.

In the past it used to bother me but for the last few years not anymore and their excuse is simple "you always come back home" and is true, I do, but would be nice every now and then host you parents and show them around your way of life.

Talking to my parents recently they said "Omar, by the way, your mom is going to Spain to visit your brother" and I was like "nice, good that she is taking some time off but what's wrong with my brother?" - because as I said above, they NEVER travel abroad unless is a convention, but you see, every rule has its exceptions.

What is the exception? Easy, illnesses and things alike, and that is what bothers me actually.  They are not willing to (and make excuses for not) visit unless any of me or brothers have some kind of medical emergency.  Life cannot be about only being there is the really bad moments and enjoying moments together means in health too and actually is kind of better that way haha.

This would be, if my memory doesn't play a trick on me, the second time they have ever travelled to visit one of us without any convention in the middle.  The first time was when my brother in Argentina was having some medical problems -_- .

Anyways, I hope they recapacitate and think this better, rejections and unwillingness just make people grow a bit apart, and yes, even in relationship with parents.  In my case is an OK one, but sometimes I wish it could be better.

As of my brother, obviously I'm glad mom is visiting to help him out a bit, and I'm not too worried about his illness because as far as I understand is a manageable one.  

Peace out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Procrastination 🥲

A Dominican Maestro!

Pi Day