UMF

Day 84

Ultra Music Festival. 

Why would I want to write about a festival that, even though I normally go every year, I'm never really too excited about? Weird, huh? So for those of you who may not know what it is, the Ultra Music Festival is an electronic music festival that takes place in Miami every March.   Normally is a 3-day festival with the biggest and most well-known DJs and people from all over the world come to the city to attend such event.

A few disclaimers first: in the grand scheme of things, I don't really enjoy electronic music much.  I can stand it, I can like a few songs and I do enjoy a few of the DJs a lot, but I rather go to a rock concert.  That said, I know how to have a good time and enjoy it cause at the end of the day, the environment, even with all the drugs around (disclaimer #2: I don't do drugs) is actually pretty fun.

So why do I attend? The first one I ever go to was back in 2013 and if you live in Miami, is one of those things that you want to do at least once.   And it wasn't until I had been living here for 5 years that I finally decided to go pushed in part because I actually wanted to see what it was about and also because friends were pushing to go together, please note that the tickets tend to be on the expensive side of things, and prior to 2013 I did not have the means to give me the luxury of attending it.

What did I think about it?  Well, it was fun but right around the same time I also started attending Lollapalooza in Chicago and well, organization-wise, Ultra has always been a step behind other major festivals but nevertheless it was a nice experience.

After that, I did not go back until 2016 because I already knew what it was like and I had zero interest in attending it again, but then, peer pressure came knocking on the door and also my travel partner was like: I'll do Lollapalooza if you do Ultra, and well, that has been our agreement ever since. 

The most recent UMF was nice, but also, a bit of a letdown, at least for in part because you either arrive "drunk" or be prepared to spend a small fortune on so-so drinks. Also, specially the first day, the mood wasn't really there (felt more empty than usual) but day 2 and 3 were great and a bit better than past years since I got to hang with good people.

And all that said, I'll prepare myself a bit better for future Ultras, like for example taking the day after day 3 off. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Procrastination 🥲

A Dominican Maestro!

Pi Day