Forced to mingle!

Day 97

Traveling alone is not a big issue for me, I enjoy it a lot but one thing that I don’t like about it is having lunch/dinner alone.  Lunch and dinner have always been social activities for me, during an office day is the time to relax and talk with coworkers about anything but work, and on non-work related environments, is literally a perfect time to discuss issues and talk about life.

On a recent work related trip, I was alone BUT I had to mingle and socialize with a lot of people, this in part because is what is expected out of a professional environment.  At one point, I was talking to this lady and we both realized that even though we enjoy talking to “strangers” we do get a bit of social anxiety and she used a great  word to describe ourselves, we are “extrovert introverts” and I think she nailed it.

I’m a social guy, but normally with people I know.  Having to put myself out there to meet people and start conversations is not something I truly enjoy, for example I would rather have people approach me for conversations than me approaching total strangers.  Just the idea of having to talk to someone I don’t know is a bit excruciating, the good thing is that, on work related events, you get to see the same people for a few days and as soon as you break the ice with one or two, you can expect that you’ll be introduced to others, and that makes the interactions more natural and less uncomfortable for me.

I’m weird, I know but well.  Gotta make the best out of these situations.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shopping Cart Theory

Allergies :|