Habichuelas con Dulce

Day 88

During the Holy Week, but more specifically as soon as lent starts, in my home country we have many customs and traditional things we do.

We, as a country, follow certain unwritten rules during lent like eating no meat products on fridays and Ashes Wednesday as a "sacrifice" (oh what a sacrifice) but most importantly, is the time of the year that we cook "Habichuelas con dulces" (literal translation "beans with sweets" but in technicality would be "Sweet cream of beans").

The habichuelas con dulces is a staple of dominican cuisine and something we 95% of the time we do during lent, and even though is a dessert, it can be a substitute for dinner or as a heavy snack.  The preparation is very meticulous and it used to be very hard to find in Miami, me being home sick one time I decided to follow a recipe online and it was a success.

Mind you, I don't know how to cook, I know, as any good engineer, to follow directions and procedures and well, that's how I made them and every single year, specially at the end of lent (during the holy week) I make some to share with friends but one thing I always missed from the recipe was the typical cookies that go on top, I always used maria cookies but they are not a good substitute for the real things.

The issue is that the cookies that goes into the habichuelas con dulces can't be found easily in Miami but today my brother arrived from Santo Domingo, and guess what I ordered... Yep, those cookies!!!

This year Habicuelas con Dulce will be extra special and I'll make sure to use top of the line products to cook the delicacy.

March 2015

The cookies I never had, now in hand

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Procrastination 🥲

A Dominican Maestro!

Pi Day